Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Saturday, May 26, 2012

On Saturday of this weekend I went out to fly again.

The day looked fantastic with large cumulonimbus clouds popping up all over. The wind was relatively calm too but only a few pilots came out to tow.

I got an early Aerotow on the Falcon to 2100 which let me work lift for 20 minutes or so. I climbed to 3070 and decided I would try to go find another cloud to work lift under. I mean, that's what cross country pilots do right? They fly from cloud to cloud, or anyway, from thermal to thermal and try to get as far as they can. Anyway, I saw a large looking cloud that appeared to be forming over Darbyville, only two miles away. So I headed out of my lift and cruised in that direction. It turns out the cloud was farther than I though, by about 6 miles or so. I kept an eye on my altitude so that I could be sure to get back, but I didn't get any lift at all. I flew back to where I expected it to be but couldn't find the lift I started in. I flew in to land and had a nice strong flare.

The day ended up turning on much more strongly toward 3 in the afternoon. One pilot had a 3 hour flight and climbed to 5000 a few times, so the lift was there. Sometime toward the end of the day, closer to 5:30, I tried taking another flight on my Horizon. I had confidence that I understood what was supposed to happen, what I was supposed to do, and how to adjust for position. But the attempt went very poorly. I nearly crashed again. Immediately after coming out of the cart, the glider started banking, I started making large corrections, and I the pilot induced oscillations escalated. The tug pilot gave me the rope and I tried landing in control. I ended up making the worst whack I've ever had and ended up slightly bending a down tube. Check out the video for a dramatic clip of my mistake.

Immediately after the attempt I had no clue what went wrong. Even after looking at the video I'm only half sure what the cause of the failure was. I think I came out of the cart and was slightly off center, or for some reason, I immediately started making a shift in body weight to the left. And I can see it in the video, but I can't for the life of me remember why I did it. I can't relate what I felt during the attempt with how I reacted. I think this is evidence for me that I need to have a fin, and a lot more VG. Both of those things aught to help lessen the "sensitivity" so to speak of the glider during those crucial moments. I can't start oscillating immediately after coming out of the cart.

Also, I need to drill into my mind that if I should disconnect from the tow line for whatever reason, I should NOT try to recover and flare, I should just set the glider down on it's wheels and roll/slide it out. I think partly the severity of my landing on this failed attempt is due to the fact that I was trying not to land on the wheels and ended up mushing (or stalling) the glider into a flare with tilted wings. I think I can pick out in the video where if I had been thinking better, I would have just belly landed and rolled it out into the soft and tall grass, instead I oscillated, never recovered and half flared while the glider was turning.

I ended up slightly shaken, but without any injury at all. No bruised shoulder where I pushed all my weight into the down tube, no sprained ankle, no scrapes or grass burns (on me anyway, the nose cone has a nice grass stain). It could have been a lot worse.

Go to youtube to watch the video, it doesn't embed very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k09_cwbH2ps

2 comments:

  1. I have glanced ar your blog from time to time and just really started to read it today. I also am a new pilot this year (and have an horizon 180!!)and your serotow experiences are what I have been wondering about. How are they going now and what did you find out about making adjustments etc to get better at it? jeff@texastankservices.com BTW I went to Villa also. Didnt remeber seeing you but as you know it was busy. It overdeveloped on all of my flying days by 1ish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Aerotows are going fantastic, I've had 11 solo tows now. I had some trouble at first that was entirely my own fault not the fault of the glider. I had a few things fundamentally wrong about controlling the glider on tow and it took me a little while to get over those misconceptions. I finally got over it after some excellent advice from the tow pilot and my instructor. For example I wasn't centering myself at trim while sitting on the cart I was pushing out without realizing it. And when I would launch, I would swing forward and in effect "pull in" hard right after leaving cart. Towing with a fin, and towing in the gentlest conditions both helped get me comfortable and familiar with towing. Now I'm perfectly confident in my towing abilities.

      Delete