Sunday, August 12, 2012

Casual day at Wesmar this weekend. It was actually something of a Fly In and a birthday celebration for a number of club pilots so there was a gathering all weekend. I was busy on Saturday but went out on Sunday to try to fly. The weather looked great in the morning, and Larry W. had a decent flight early on, but the conditions deteriorated to marginal. And in fact it was literally marginal since you could draw a line right down the middle of the sky and to the north, there was a dense field cumulonimbus clouds popping up and to the south, clear sky and high cirrus clouds. So we were right on the margin.

My big goal for the day was just to get some more time on the new harness. I have been making adjustments to the shoulders to try and get a good feeling but it always felt slightly small when I put my feet in the boot. However, it was mostly just the 1 inch thick block of foam in the boot that was restricting my shoulder room. Removing the block gave me too much room. Now I have to go back to adjusting the shoulder straps and try and find that ideal setting.

My  flights were short and didn't consist of much climbing, but they were enjoyable. The tows were behind a trike, which was a first for me. There was significantly more motion and correction needed since any lift that the trike encountered had a huge effect on it's climb rate so I had to make larger corrections to keep up. In the end both my tows were smooth and incident free and provided a total of 38 minutes of flight time.

No comments:

Post a Comment